Thursday, May 11, 2017

Passage Log, Day 2

Day 2 - Tuesday, May 9th

At 6:30am I listen to Chris Parker's weather broadcast on the HF radio; he apparently forgets to give us our own forecast though I had sent him an email requesting one. It's not a big deal as the general forecast is as expected and there is another boat on the same route a half-day ahead of us; I copy his briefing. I'm still pretty tired after Dawn starts her shift at 7am so I head back to bed and sleep until my watch starts at 10am. When I get up the wind has backed WNW and freshened to 10 knots; Dawn already has the Yankee out and we are finally able to kill the engine after 25 hours of motorsailing. We eat a little breakfast, put the fishing lines out, and enjoy the close reach at over six knots, with speed over ground occasionally hitting 9 plus.

Just before noon a fish hits the handline – yet another Mahi, a good fighter but a bit smaller than the first two so we let him go. The Mahi seem to love that green squid skirt lure, so it’s a bummer when the line snaps a bit later and I lose the lure. I have the handline rig set up on the port side, and on a port tack it's elevated enough that the line rubs on the prop of our dinghy outboard, which is on its mount on the aft port side. This is the first time I’ve lost a lure that way, but I have seen lines get tangled there before, so obviously I’m going to have to rethink where I rig the handline. The starboard side would be the obvious solution except that it’s a much better place for the rod & reel.

At noon I calculate our noon-to-noon mileage: 179nm! That’s gotta be a record for Windbird or close to it. At this point it is obvious that we are going way too fast for our planned Thursday morning arrival... but if we're able to stay in the Gulf Stream all of today, I reckon that we can possibly make it into Little River inlet before sunset Wednesday. Once inside, there's a great little anchorage at Bird Island. So I adjust our course to the east to more closely follow the predicted Gulf Stream path, and then Dawn goes further east on her shift while I'm napping because she sees the water temperature falling and the current easing. Smart girl. Later the wind starts backing WSW and then SW, which makes us have to chose between keeping a hot angle or staying in the current. I decide to dig out the spinnaker, which let us do both. We're only able to fly it for 2.5 hours until the wind picks up to 16 knots, at which point we're doing over 7 knots STW and hitting an incredible 11.3 SOG! That’s pretty much the sailboat equivalent of breaking the sound barrier, at least in a heavy cruising boat like Windbird.

Alas, 16 knots is near the limit for our spinnaker and the sun is going down so we hurriedly finish our delicious Mahi dinner and doused the chute. At sunset we see the “green flash” (more of a momentary greenish pinprick) and I head downstairs to nap before my 10-1 watch. Since yesterday's sunset we have logged 188 nm and we are now nearly abeam the Georgia/South Carolina border, with only 147nm to go (140 to Little River Inlet).

When I come up for my 10-1 watch the wind has continued to pick up and is now blowing at 17 with occasional gusts into the low 20s. I consider reefing down before Dawn heads to bed but as we are on a very broad reach the boat is still well in control, so I keep up the full main. Over the next three hours the seas build considerably, but after midnight the wind slacks off to a steady 17-18 knots so I again keep full sail when Dawn comes on watch. This whole time the wind has been at 210-220 degrees which keeps us from going directly the way we want. We initially gybed to stay in the Gulf Stream but that was taking us quite a bit further east than we wanted to go so we've gybed back onto the port tack and hold that the rest of the night. The wind slowly shifts westward through the early morning hours, letting us slowly veer back towards our course line. It also picks back up between 1am and 4am, but Dawn doesn't want to interrupt my sleep so she doesn't call me up. As I'm preparing to go on deck for my 4am watch, Dawn tells me to “get up here!” with some urgency; she later admits that we really should have reefed an hour previously (if not at 10pm). Regardless, we're able to reef under sail pretty painlessly though it involves turning the boat into some rather large, steep seas. We take one good splash over the bow but Dawn somehow escapes most of it at the mast.

Once reefed, the boat scarcely slows down but the autopilot does a much better job of keeping things under control. It's fairly cold out and palpably humid, so I spend my watch hunkered down in the lee of our forward port enclosure panel, facing backwards and watching the big moonlit waves overtake us. There are two distinct swells and every once in a while they join to form a bigger wave that rises above the level horizon. Windbird rides really well in these kind of seas – which is the whole point of having a heavy-displacement boat with a modified full keel – and so it's not scary at all, but rather mesmerizing. I watch each wave racing in, lift the stern, and roll under us with a deep hiss, a spritz of spume splashing over the toerail. It's beautiful out here.

1 comment:

  1. بعض المنازل والمنشآت يحدث بها مشكلات في الصرف الصحي أو السباكة أو خزانات المياه هنا تتسرب المياه في الحوائط أو الأسطح أو الأرضيات ويتبعها مشكلات كثيرة من تشققات بالحوائط وسقوط بعض الدهانات والديكورات وقد يصل هذا التسرب إلى حديد التسليح وهذا بالطبع قد يؤدي إلى انهيار المبنى.
    - حتى يتم السيطرة على تلك المشكلة عقب ظهورها فورا لابد من الاستعانة بشركة متخصصة للكشف عن تلك التسربات ويكون لديها من الإمكانيات ما ييسر تلك المهمة وهذا ما تقدمه شركة كشف تسربات المياه بالدمام في مجال كشف تسربات المياه لجميع عملائها للتخلص من مشكلة تسربات المياه وما يتبعها من تلفيات وخسائر عديدة.
    كيف يتم كشف تسربات المياه
    - في شركة كشف تسربات المياه بالخبر أحدث الأجهزة للكشف المبكر لمشكلة تسرب المياه، إلى جانب الحلول السريعة لحل تلك المشكلة والتخلص منها تماما وهذا تقديرا منا لعامل الوقت الذي يعد مقياس هام لكثير من الخسائر التي تحتاج بالفعل الإسراع في علاجها فورا.
    شركة كشف تسربات المياه بالجبيل بدون تكسير :
    نظرا للعوامل التي تجعل بالفعل تسرب المياه مشكلة كبيرة تسعى شركة كشف تسربات المياه بالقطيف للبحث عن كل ما يخلصكم مبكرا من تلك المشكلة وبدون تكسير أو تلفيات، ولكن يلاحظ بعض الأمور الدالة على تسرب المياه مثل:-
    - ظهور تشققات بالحوائط حتى إن كانت صغيرة.
    - سقوط الدهانات وظهور رطوبة في سطح المنزل أو الجدران أو الأرضيات.
    - ملاحظة أي تنقيط للمياه من أي جدار أو سطح بالمنزل.
    - متابعة فواتير المياه لمعرفة استهلاك المياه مناسب أم زائد عن الحد.
    - متابعة أي مواسير بالمنزل وعند ظهور أي صدأ هذا يعني أن هناك تسرب بهذا المكان.
    - متابعة المنطقة حول تكييف الهواء فعند وجود أي رطوبة لابد من علاجها.
    - التخلص أولا بأول من مياه الأمطار المتراكمة على أسطح المنازل.
    مزيد من خدماتنا
    شركة عزل اسطح بالدمام